Wednesday, April 29, 2009

waiting on someone elses meal

the sunset fell warmly on her face
i could tell she was nervous

looking down and biting my lip
i listened as she whispered

"i want THIS but i want THAT as well
it's a battle i'm not sure i can fight"

my lip still tucked under my teeth
i glance upward with a gentle confession

"you inspire my creativity"
she silently replied with only a chuckle

you could tell it made her uncomfortable
her eyes darting as she breathed in

"i don't know what i want but yet i do"
she said, hands fidgeting at her button

i slowly reach across the table
and put her face in my hand

turn her eyes to meet mine
a small caring grin rising upon my face

"THIS could be what you need
but THAT is what you want"

she pulled away from me
removing the napkin from her lap

she softly kissed me on the cheek
and disappeared into the darkness

i sit in the same chair waiting
knowing she can never be replaced